For many of us, the idea of a men’s conference brings to mind this chain of events . . . show up with a new notebook, get ‘talked at’ for a few days, participate in mostly shallow conversation with various strangers, and then head home. Here’s the resulting image . . . that new notebook we brought sitting on our desks, where it’s most urgent job is that of a coaster. I’ve been there, you’ve been there . . . we’ve all been there.
This past weekend, Radical Mentoring hosted almost 120 attendees and volunteers in the North Georgia mountains with the hopes of creating something different . . . an environment with space for deeper connection with our Heavenly Father and with each other. This is the fifth Mentor Summit and based on the feedback, each one seems to get better. So, what’s our formula . . .
- Intimate Connection – Because we were all born with a deep desire to be known, we try to create space for personal reflection and deep connection. Instead of rows, each man sits at a table with a handful of other guys. They have time to individually reflect on each speaker and time to share their insights and takeaways around the table.
- Personal Worship – We were honored to have Heath Balltzglier and his brother Gabe lead us for the weekend. Heath leads weekly at North Point Community Church but joined us for the weekend with just his voice and his acoustic guitar!
- Powerful Teaching – Wes Yoder, author of Bond of Brothers, and James Bryan Smith, author of The Good and Beautiful God, shared with us from their deep wisdom and passion. A few of the big ideas . . .
Wes on Community: “Remember, everyone we meet is a son looking for a brother.”
Jim on our Identity: “I am one in whom Christ dwells and delights.” “I live in the strong and unshakable kingdom of God.”
- Practical Application – Larry Green, Founder of Cloudwalk, and John Woodall, Director of (7) and Men’s Groups at North Point Community Church walked us through exercises of Listening Prayer and Transcribing Scripture . . .
Larry encouraged us to ask, “Father, what is your heart for me?” And then, “Father, what is your heart for the men we’re mentoring?”
John encouraged us to revisit the Old Testament instruction to “write for [ourselves] on a scroll a copy of this law” by copying Scripture as a way of applying it to our hearts. He recommends starting with Romans 5-8 and Proverbs 5-7.
It’s challenging to capture the full picture of the weekend without being there. As one attendee said, “You can’t really explain it, you have to experience it. Life-refreshing, life-changing, life-challenging.” With that in mind, here are two ways you can connect with our tribe . . .
- Join our Facebook Group – This online community serves as a place to encourage and ask questions, as well as a way for us to engage those connected with our ministry. Go here to join.
- Join us for Mentor Summit 2018: West – For the first time, we are hosting two Summits in one year! Mentor Summit 2018: West will take place Oct. 5-7 at Bear Trap Ranch outside Colorado Springs. If you are interested in attending, you can register now at our Way Early Price of $239. Register and find out all the info here.
Be encouraged by the men joining us in the ministry of mentoring the next generation . . . it is important Kingdom work, and we are so grateful for you being a part of our Radical Mentoring community.
Scripture: For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them. (Matthew 18:20)